I don't even know where to start.
We went in to the regular OB for another growth scan today. The appointment didn't go so well. He only grew 48g in the past 2 weeks and he should have grown twice that. On top of that, my amniotic fluid is dangerously low. I have been sitting around an AFI(amniotic fluid index) of 7-8 at previous appointments. I am now at 3.
My Dr's main concern is the amniotic fluid at this time. He said typically anything under 5 they go strait to be monitored and then deliver. So he said at this point he would usually admit me to the hospital for fluids and monitoring until further notice. But there's a problem, even though I am past 24 weeks (viability date) he isn't matching a size of a 24 weeker and he is about 368g. Babies need to be close to or over 500g to have a surviving chance. So he said if I decided to get admitted I have to be ready to deliver via c-section as soon as that heartrate drops- but he said I would have to be ready for a baby that wouldn't make it. We both decided it was better to go home and be on bed rest and hope for the best. I would hate to deliver prematurely just b/c his heart rate droped once. If our baby was bigger, I would probably be typing this from the hospital room.
Instead they sent me to OB triage to get an IV with some fluids, in hopes that it helps my fluid levels. I already drink CRAZY amounts of water so he doesn't think dehydration is an issue. He believes the placenta is getting ready to give up and the baby isn't able to keep up with the fluid. He also said the baby has a bright bowel on the ultrasound (echogenic bowel) which indicates a chromosomal abnormality or infection. He said the baby could still have an abnormality that wasn't tested for in the amnio. He said he thinks the baby has some sort of sydrome, minor or major is totally unknown.
He agrees my case is so rare and nothing makes sense with all the findings. He said the low amniotic fluid and the severe IUGR is very very critical and hes only seen it maybe once in 17 years of practice. Now that I am on bedrest for the time being, he didn't think going to see the specialist in Sarasota was the best idea. Instead he made me an appointment for tomorrow morning that I went to before but with a different doctor.
What he wants to know from them is when would be the right time to admit me given the baby has a fighting chance. He also gave me an option to meet with the NICU doctors and get their opinion. We're waiting until tomorrow to see what happens. My Dr truly thinks something is going to happen in the next 2 weeks, good or bad. Im hoping he is wrong (and he hopes he's wrong too) and our baby keeps growing as long as he can.
Any and all prayers are appreciated greatly, we need them. This whole thing is just so unfair. We have been so excited to start a family and then we get this handed on our plate. Why?
Sorry if this all makes no sense, I'm pretty overwhelmed right now and it hardly makes sense to me.
I would post the video from the ultrasound, but it's pretty blury since the amniotic fluid is so low its hard to get a good picture.